Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long can I wait to start HIV Meds?
Nov 5, 2005

I am a 45 year old male runner in good shape. I tested positive for HIV about 10 months ago. My initial viral load was around 3,000 and T-cell count at around 550. There was not much change on the second test 4 months later. The following test showed that the viral load went up to 19,000 and the t-cell count dropped to 432. I am a recovering addict and have been able to stay clean for long lenghts of time but one month before my last blood test, I had a relapse on speed and did not eat or sleep for nearly four days. I went into detox and have been doing good since but now I have to decide wether to start on meds per my doctors advice. I know the relapse didn't help my cause any but I would like to wait as long as possible before starting meds. If I wait longer, will it cause irreversible damage?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Most doctors wouldn't recommend starting medications with your current set of labs--indeed, if you were my patient and were not symptomatic, I wouldn't recommend starting until your counts approached 350. --so, waitng longer to start shouldn't be a problem and there's no reason to think that you'll have any irreversible damage until such a time when you and your doctor decide that it's time to start.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Brain dudes!!!!
Next
Resend: HIV Therapuetic Vaccin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.