Haart with chemo

hi

I am 31yo male poz for 3 years now.

cd4: 430, vl: 30.000 Doctor decided to put me on treatment now since I had two cycles of chemo (CHOP) for my NHL (ALCL) in the lymp nodes under my arm. The NHL caused a drop of WBC until 1.8 (in the days 7-10 after the chemo only). Doctor wants to put me on Kaletra, Epivir and Viread. 1. Is that a good combo as a first one ever ? 2. Is it gonna have any influence on my WBC levels? 3. Doctor dont want to check the cd4 levels, he wants to base on the one before I started treatment (430), he says on chemo my cd4 count is going to be very low anyway. Is that correct?

greetings from Europe! thank you for your great job!

Hello and thanks for posting. The combination of Kaletra, Epivir, and Viread is one of the preferred combinations and is certainly is potent. But there are some alternative regimens with fewer side effects that should work as well. With a relatively high CD4 count and low viral load you could use a simpler and safer Sustiva-based regimen with a high likelihood of virologic control. Any regimen that does not include AZT should not negatively impact your WBC count. It is true that chemotherapy will tend to lower the CD4 count so that measurements may not be very helpful for next several months. Hope that this helps and best of luck to you!

American Living Abroad
Brain dudes!!!!