A Major Rash

I started meds a few months back after I had resisted for so long. I got PCP and then forced to take a more aggressive approach. I needed to be on an antibiotic so my DR put me on Bactrin. I had an allergic reaction to it: rash and redness on upper torso, arms, neck, face etc. She then took me off the Bactrin and put me on Mepron. At the same time I started taking meds: Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada. The rash persisted and got even worse. So we stopped the Mepron. The rash continued....so we decided to switch the Reyataz to Invirase. It's only been a couple days with the new 3some but this rash is NOT going away. I'm so itchy and paranoid since it's all over my arms, upper torso, neck, shoulders etc and can only wear long sleeve shirts. What do you think the rash might be from? And how long being off any one of the meds: Bactrin, Mepron, Reyataz should I give it before seeing if the rash persists? How long do the meds stay in your body? And how long do I give this rash? I'm really at wits end. To have an allergic reaction to so many things is baffling. Can you give me any advice? Or have you heard of this happening before? Thanx so much, Michael

Hello and thanks for posting. This situation that you are confronting is not common, but is certainly solvable. Since medication switches are not doing the trick, sometimes all medications have to be temporarily stopped in order to sort out what is going on. This would need to be discussed with your doctor. The natural assumption is that you are suffering from a medication-related rash, but it is possible that the rash might be a new condition and a dermatology consult might be helpful. Best of luck to you!

d4t replacement?
Fuzeon