|Male circumcision and HIV infection
Oct 31, 2005
I just can't quite grasp the positive correlation between male circumcision and HIV infection. Why is a circumsized male at less risk than uncircumsized?
| Response from Dr. Wohl
I do not think that the exact mechanism is understood. Possible explanations include the collection of mircoorganisms beneath the foreskin that can provoke and inflammatory repsonse. This response includes white blood cells that can harbor HIV. The foreskin may also be subjected to abrasions during or following sex that may also act as a portal for HIV transmission.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Skin After Anal Sex Condom Broke Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Mouth After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Touching Vaginal Sore Worried I Have HIV
- Thrush After Giving A Bj Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.