Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are they infected???
Oct 24, 2005

Dr. Dr Wohl,

I am pos my hubby is neg. Have been together since 2000. We got tested together in 2002 and we had had unsafe sex like three times and gave a window period of 6 months before doing the test. After mine came back pos. we have always stuck to safe sex. But a month ago we had wild sex and the condom broke towards the end of our lovemaking I felt it and asked him to check but he did not notice it. After we were through we noticed the condom had surely burst. What are the chances that he could be infected? I am so scared of asking him to go get tested as I am scared of a pos result. For me I have learnt how to deal with it but how to deal with infecting him will be too much. Plus I need him to be around for our daughter (25mths) when I am gone. Two weeks after our act he was complaining of fever and pain in the joints (which I know are signs of infection, but which he has had before even before we got tested together the first time) what are the chances hes got it? Another thing, I gave birth to my daughter through caesarian (03), never breastfed and was undetectable at time of birth. For the past two years shes never been ill and only went to hospital for immunizations until last week when she was admitted to hospital with pneumonia. I was so scared. Did not know what to do. Do you think it could have been pcp(I know about that)? The doc said she probably had an infection she caught from pre-school but at the back of my mind I am scared that she could be infected. Her weight is ok. 16kgs. And shes so full of energy. She is now ok. and going back to school. Shouldnt I have known by now if she was infected? Is it normal for someone her age to have pneumonia? I am so stressed out I dont know what to do. Please Ill be waiting for your reply and please send me any reading materials on the above.

Liz.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Liz-

The odds of transmission of HIV from one person to another depend on so many things like the viral load of the infected person, the type of exposure, any other sexually transmitted diseases that may be present, the type of HIV the person has among others. So, It is very difficult to express the risk as a numeric value.

If your viral load is low, that does reduce the risk.

If possible, your husband and daughter should both be tested. He can be tested now and then again in a few months. That way, if they are both negative (which is likely) you can have some peace of mind.

This website has much information that you should find useful. The US CDC also can be helpful (www.cdc.gov).

DW

Previous
the linkage between cd4 nos and percentage
Next
AM I A LONG TIME SURVIVOR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.