Low Platelet Count Follow-up

Last Friday my doctor checked my platelet count after starting Sustiva & Truvada 2 weeks prior for low platelets, 21K. My platelet count had only increased to 22K over this time. Should my platelent count have increased more than 1K after 2 weeks on meds? What would be a resonable increase after 4 weeks? My doctor said to check labs again in 2 weeks. She says 22K is very low! I don't want to wait around for 4 weeks only to find out this was not coused by the virus. Is there other tests I could request? I have only been + 1 year with CD4 count of 565.

Thanks for your follow up. I apologize for the delay in my reply.

I'd think that 2 weeks is a little early to see dramatic changes in your platlet count after starting on HAART. So long as you're not having significant bruising or bleeding, I think that the approach is ok.

You do raise an important point, which is to try to gain knowledge about whether HIV, or something else is responsible for your blood counts. In cases like yours, I'll refer my patients to a good hematologist, possibly to have a bone marrow biopsy to determine if there's a problem in the way that your body is producing blood cells. BY

facial wasting - my anecdotal experience
What's the Rate of Progression with a high viral load?