Is the regimen I am on the best under my circunstances??

I was newly diagnosted poz in august of this year also found out that I have HP-B, my cd4 count 462, my VL 16,000 my doctor put me on the 1 truvada + 2 reyataz + 1 norvir as a booster once a day cocktail, the side efect I am having is an all day long upset stomach as if I had indigestion all day long, are these meds the best for me to take under my circunstances or should I change meds for something different, I'd thank you for your time and for what you do in here ;-)

Thanks for your post and kind words.

I'll have to initate this discussion by asking why your doctor chose to start you on therapy, given that you have a low viral load and normal-range CD4 cell count. Perhaps it's because of the extent of your liver disease (which is known to worsen if the face of HIV).

To this end, it's very reasonable to use Truvada as the cornerstone to your treatment. Both medications in Truvada (tenofovir and FTC) are very active in controlling hepatitis B virus.

Now, what to partner Truvada with? Many doctors use Norvir-boosted atazanavir (Reyataz) for this, like your doctor has. While this is often very well tolerated (except for the risk of developing jaundice, or yellowing of the eyes and skin), I tend to use a different boosted PI when using Truvada. This is because when dosed together, tenofovir lowers the atazanavir levels by about 25%.

So, when using Truvada, I'd rather use a different PI that doesn't have this interaction- such as Norvir-boosted fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir) or ritoanvir/lopinavir (Kaletra). I believe that the PI-part of the treatment is essential for potentcy-- why lower the potency of the combination unless you have to?

Given that you're having side effects from the regimen, it would be important to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Could it be that your upset stomach is a direct toxicity of the medications? Or, is it because that you've had to stop taking your antacids (due to their interaction with atazanavir)? Make sure that you're taking your regimen with food- this is important to achieve optimal absorption of the medications, and may also mitigate some of the stomach upset. It's also relevant to know that many side effects of HIV medications abate without intervention-- over a period of days or weeks. If your symptoms have been there for over a month, it's unlikely that suffering onward will lead to improvements.

If in the end, your side effects are attributable to the Novir or Reyataz, then a switch to a different medication makes plenty of sense. In such circumstances, I've switched patients to fosamprenavir without difficulty, with the expectation that the symptoms may very well improve.

Good luck, let us know what ultimately transpires. BY

Hep C & Radiation
Airborne