Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

From Buenos Aires dudes!!!!
Oct 23, 2005

Dear Done

First, sorry for my english, Im from Argentina and my english is terrorific!!!! I wiil try to do this in the corrct form.

First my status:

HIV + in March 05. Whitout drougs for the moment.

1.- March 520cd4 (29%) 600.000 cv

2.-May 609cd4 (31%) 238.000 cv

3.-july 590cd4 ( 30%) No carga Test.

4.- Agost 700cd4(35%) 180.000

5.-Octo 660cd4 (30%) 123.000.

Questions:

1.- Respect to my CD4, is this my Set Point?

2.- In my last lab, my CD4 go down to 35% to 30%.Is this alarm? significative?

3.- My CV is Go down ( whit out drugs) month to month, Why? is likely go to indetectable staus whithout drougs?

4.- How many time do you consider that i can state whit out drugs? one year more?

Dear Marck, thans for your help and for try to understand my englis!!!!!

Un caluroso abrazo desde Buenos AIres

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Hey Argentina Dude,

When you look at your labs (CD4 and VL), always look at the trend, not just one test. If you average your 5 tests, your average CD4 count is 630 which is a very good count. T cells usually vary from test to test but the % is often more consistent. Your average % is 31 also a good number. You might want to plot your T cells, % and VL on a graph so you can monitor the overall trend. I would not be alarmed with your CD4 count and percent.

Your viral loads (600, 238, 180, 123) are very low. This suggests that your immune system is doing a very good job controlling the virus on its own since you state that you have never taken HIV meds. It is possible that it could reach an undetectable level without medications; I've seen this happen on several occasions.

Unfortunately there's no way to predict how long you will be able to stay off meds. Remember that most treatment guidelines suggest starting meds if your CD4 count starts to drop below 350 and/or your VL increases to more than 100,000. Treatment may be recommended if you have symptoms that are directly related to HIV.

In general, the better you take care of yourself, the healthier you will be. Get recommended vaccines, eat healthy food, rest, don't party excessively and practice safe sex so you don't get yourself re-infected with HIV.

Good luck!

Previous
Site Reactions Getting Worse
Next
New injection option?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.