Wasted time on Meds?

My son has been HIV positive for 2+ years. He has been on meds from the beginning. It is very likely that he doesn't need to be on meds at this time. He is 23 and very healthy - I worry that he will be on meds for many years when there may not be a need to be on them. When he tested positive it wasn't his true numbers - they never waited to retest so I feel that he may abe wasting this time on meds for the past few years when he may need it more in the future. His doctor is specialized in HIV/AIDS so I can't say that he is not informed. What are our options in this case?

Hello and thanks for posting. You are right your son may not need to be on medications at this time. Without any details it is hard to really comment. Some people choose to start HAART earlier than the authoritative guidelines suggest and they may be doing the right thing. Others choose to wait to start therapy past the point that the guidelines suggest and they may be doing the correct thing. We just don't know how best to manage HIV infection, but current studies will help us better answer this question in the future. Our team has quite a few of our patients enrolled in the SMART study which compares early HAART to deferred therapy. It is too early to tell what the result will be, but the encouraging news is that both groups are doing extremely well.

The bottom line is that the decision to take HAART should be made by the individual affected after weighing the potential benefits and risks as best as one can do.

Dudes from Buenos Aires and "set point"
Confused