Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Booster

I live in an area which is reporting a high incidence of Pertussis. I've recently read about FDA approval of Adacel and Boostrix, two boosters for Whooping Cough. Is this recommended for HIV+ adults and should I be seeking it from my doctor?

These are combination products that contain triple vaccines against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has recommended that adolescents get this vaccine at age 12 instead of the dual vaccine for diphtheria and pertussis. No recommendations have been made for adults in general or HIV-infected adults in particular. This is not a live vaccine so someone with HIV infection should be able to safely take it.

But to answer your question the risk versus benefit analysis this vaccine would depend on how widespread the outbreak is in your community, who it is affecting, and whether you have potential exposure to this group. Hope that this helps and good luck!

HIV negative after seven years!
High liver enzymes