Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long do I have to take Mepron ?
Oct 11, 2005

I came down with PCP and hospitalized for 11 days this July.I had very bad alegic reaction to sulfa so my doc gives me Mepron. I started med on August . Due to my very week cd4 ( 169 )and high vl (750,000) my doc gave me Sustiva and Truvada . After a week my resistant test came back and I was already resistant to Sustiva . She switched to Truvada and Reyataz and Norvir. My first lab test ( I did it on September 12th ) came back and it was amazing result . Now my cd4 270 and vl 1300. She told me I still have to take Mepron .I've been on Mepron since July and as a female I really don't feel good about taking antibiotic so long but she told me since I had PCP ,this is very important to take Mepron and she said something like a year !!! What is your opinion?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Several studies have shown that if the CD4 cell count stays above 200 for over 6 months (and CD4% at or above 14%), prophylaxis for PCP can be stopped. So, if in 6 months the results are the same or better, I would take you off the Mepron.

Other good news: Mepron should not cause a yeast infection.

DW

Previous
Solumedrol for corneal graft rejection w/ HIV?
Next
Bird Flu Pandemic Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.