Solumedrol for corneal graft rejection w/ HIV?

I tested positive in 1985 but have never had any opportunistic infections. Currently my meds keep (and have kept for many years) my viral load undetectable with t-4 cells above 1500....in other words I am doing extremely well. Last year I received a corneal graft that is now rejecting. My surgeon is recommending (pending approval of my infectious disease/GP doc's approval) (1) gram solumedrol IV in an attempt to stop graft rejection. My eye treatment is complicated by successful trebeculectomy surgery (bleb) for glaucoma (now under control after some optic nerve damage several years back) AND catarect lens implant many years back. I am awaiting my Doc's opinion but also wanted to check with the experts on this site. Is the (1) gram solumedrol treatment adviseable w/ HIV? I would appreciate any info you might be able to provide....Regards and many thanks!

There should not be a tremendous risk of problems related to HIV infection with use of solumedrol for this rejection. Even if you needed to stay on this or similar meds (like prednisone) once things calm down with your eye, chances are your viral load would stay low and CD4 cell count high.

The problem that you face, as does anyone taking this type of steroid, is that they lower immune function (in a way that is different from how HIV impacts the immune system). So you could experience an out break of herpes or shingles, catch a skin infection or a pneumonia. These are not common especially if the course of steroid treatment is not long.

Another consequence of longer term steroids is the effect it has on bones (reduces density) and control of blood sugar, as well as effects on mood (can make some anxious). Everyone gets a huge appetite on these meds and most gain weight.

If this is what is needed to save your sight, I would go for it, given what you write. Your docs must try to find the lowest dose and shortest duration of treatment needed to preserve your vision.

Good luck,

Why some people stay negative after HIV exposure
How long do I have to take Mepron ?