Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I just found out i'm full blown aides ..
Oct 7, 2005

Help i just found out i'm full blown aides cd4 of 184 viral load 91,806-i just went in for my first blood draw and got great news , my cd4 is 197 viraL load is 872, i have strated the drug right after i found out i had aides, since there is only 19-21 drugs does this mean when i go through all 19-21 drugs i will die from aides or am i looking at it all wrong? Please help scared to death in Florida?

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Scared,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I do agree that it was time to start on medications, with a CD4 count below 200 (meaning that you have an "AIDS" diagnosis). The fact that your viral load decreased about 99% in just a few weeks after starting on treatment is highly predictive that your regimen is working great against your virus.

If you're able to keep up with the adherence, there's no immediate need to fear that you'll chew through all of the available drugs to treat HIV. Indeed, I have a number of patients who have been continuously on medications for 10 years now (they're the ones who managed to figure out adherence in a once very complicated time).

So, I think that you'll do just fine, you're prognosis should be very good. Good luck and good health to you. BY

Previous
Avian Flu
Next
Rage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.