Started Meds Due To Low Platelets

I began Sustiva & Truvada 2 weeks ago due to low blood platelets, 21K. I have only been + 1 year since actual infection with CD4 565 & VL 45K. If my platelets go up to normal, as my doctor feels they will, as my VL goes down, could I then go off the meds? I have only been + 1 year and was expecting several years before having to start. Is this low platelet condition something that I will always be suseptable to? With all the reasearch I have done over the past year I have never heard of this being associated with HIV. I have seen almost nothing in thebody.com archives about it. I feel I have been blind sided by this. Of all the + seminars I have been to and the research I have done, I have never heard and single thing about low platelets.

One of the medical conditions linked to HIV is ITP or idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (now you see why we call it ITP). This is a condition characterized by low platelets due to their accelerated destruction. The linkage to HIV is thought to be due to the disordered immune regulation that may occur. Standard treatment for ITP for someone that does not have HIV infection is with corticosteroids. For those with HIV infection HAART usually induces a remission of the ITP.

Sometimes ITP does not come back after HAART discontinuation, but on other occasions it does recur. I don't have any studies to reference to give you a percentage risk of relapse after HAART therapy, but more data should become available in the future. I hope that this helps and best of luck to you!

Hope
Fruits for health and strength