did i make a right choice

1. i had an exposure in march 2005 and started feeling bad immediately. my worst fear came true in june 2005 when i diagonsed as positive. my cd4 was 223 and viral load was 111000. i have been on medication since july 7th 2005 and that i was feeling miserable. now i read that starting early medication would make me drug resitant early.and had i been patient enogh woth right diet and vitamins , my cd4 would have gone higher with vl going down . so my question is was i right in starting medication or just that initial infection leads to high vl n low cd4 and with time situation reverses. iam on efarivenz, lamividune, ziduvidune.

2. i have been taking some wheat plant juice along with neem and turmeric.is it good in hiv as here in india doctors suggest these for hiv patients. 3. whats your opioion of metal extracts like copper , silver , gold in fighting virus.

Those individuals who start HIV medications run the risk of developing resistance if adherence is a problem. But high level adherence with a potent regimen largely prevents development of resistance. This is one of the reasons that decisions about HIV therapy always need to be individualized. If someone knows that they have the organizational skills, discipline, and commitment necessary to not miss doses of medications, then their decision may be different from someone else that frequently runs late and forgets things (like me and my Lipitor).

But to answer your question, we simply don't know if waiting out primary HIV infection is better than treating. Studies are underway and we should have an answer. My personal bias is in favor of prompt treatment if medications can be started within a month or so of infection. But again, individualization is crucial.

With regard to alternative treatments and metal extracts I don't know of any controlled studies in humans that support their use so it remains an open question.

Thanks for posting and best of luck to you!

Low dose prednisolone
Hope