Low dose prednisolone

A June 2005 study conducted by Albrecht Ulmer in Stuttgart, Germany concludes that using low dose prednisolone (5 mg daily) during STI's does help keep CD4 T cell counts from falling. Could you please comment on this? My viral load is <50, cd4's are 440. Many of us need to take a break from protease inhibitors. Thanks, Frank

I have seen this study and have corresponded with Dr. Ulmer about this interesting topic. Here is a link to coverage that I wrote from his presentation in Bangkok last year. The short answer is that corticosteroid treatment of HIV infection is experimental and is not recommended for clinical practice. The longer answer is that Dr. Ulmer has produced some very provocative and promising observations that indicate a potential role for this therapy in HIV infection. These data need to be confirmed with randomized, prospective trials. I know such studies are in the planning stages, but as usual, funding is limited because of the lack of financial profit potential of this strategy. I won't say any more since I have promised to limit my screeds about the lack of vision and leadership from the old white guys that run HIV research in our country and around the world.

Lost Her
did i make a right choice