Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low dose prednisolone
Oct 6, 2005

A June 2005 study conducted by Albrecht Ulmer in Stuttgart, Germany concludes that using low dose prednisolone (5 mg daily) during STI's does help keep CD4 T cell counts from falling. Could you please comment on this? My viral load is <50, cd4's are 440. Many of us need to take a break from protease inhibitors. Thanks, Frank

Response from Dr. Pierone

I have seen this study and have corresponded with Dr. Ulmer about this interesting topic. Here is a link to coverage that I wrote from his presentation in Bangkok last year. The short answer is that corticosteroid treatment of HIV infection is experimental and is not recommended for clinical practice. The longer answer is that Dr. Ulmer has produced some very provocative and promising observations that indicate a potential role for this therapy in HIV infection. These data need to be confirmed with randomized, prospective trials. I know such studies are in the planning stages, but as usual, funding is limited because of the lack of financial profit potential of this strategy. I won't say any more since I have promised to limit my screeds about the lack of vision and leadership from the old white guys that run HIV research in our country and around the world.

Previous
Lost Her
Next
did i make a right choice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.