Genotype test @ VL<400?

Hello Dr. Wohl finaly here is the update on my story: my VL is less than 400 ! Knowing this I wonder about the acuracy of the genotype test performed by accident. Based on the results of the genotype my doctor recommended me to change to Viramune,Viread, Zerit, Epivir. I was on Epivir,Lexiva, Viread but I only changed the meds AFTER the VL test to Epivir,Zerit,Viread. That should work even better than the old regimen since lexiva came out resistant but Zerit max.response. But can we trust this test? I am still super well - thanks a million! Kind regards, Gerald

Dear GErald,

The accuracy of genotype resistance testing at low viral loads is likely not as good as when more virus is circulating. It comes down to sampling error as fewer virus are present and those that get sucked up into the needle may not be representative of the overall resistance picture.

That said, it sounds like you and your doc have arrived at a reasonable plan together.

Thanks

Chonique fatique for 12 weeks after starting Trizivir
Adherence to meds