treatment within the first year

I have recently been diagnosed with HIV. My doctor tells me that I have only contractd the virus within the last year. My couts are 400/50,000. He is strongly recommending I begin Kaletra with either Epzicom or Truvada in order to stop the spread to my organs. He says that attacking the virus aggrsively in the first year can potentially be better for me in the long run. Is this reasonable advice?

Hello and thanks for posting. Starting early, aggressive therapy for HIV could potentially be better in the long run. This is speculative though, and does deviate from treatment guidelines. It is certainly ok to choose this approach as long as you are aware of the pros and cons. There is a good discussion of the arguments for and against early treatment in the DHHS treatment guidelines that might interest you.

A slightly different situation is prompt treatment of primary HIV infection. Some patients are diagnosed before or during seroconversion and there are some studies that indicate treatment in this scenario (particularly within 2 weeks of acquisition of infection) may result in durable benefit.

Once a day Sustiva or Viramune?
Stopping Meds??