Bike racing and HIV

Hi There! I was reading your response to another question and the words jumped out of the page at me: "I am an ex-cyclist." So I thought you would be the best person to ask my question. I am passionate about mountain biking and have done several long distance stage races of up to eight days of 100 -- 140km a day. I am HIV+ and on ARV's -- is there anything I need to be wary of taking my body to these extremes? Mountain biking and racing off road is what motivates me but friends say it could be too stressful and dangerous -- Please help!

Thanks for your post.

Great to hear from other cyclists out there. Yes, I'm an ex-competitive cyclist, having spent many years on the circuit.

Assuming that your HIV health (CD4 count) and diet are good, I don't see any problem with your stage racing. My advice is really more related to staying healthy while racing -- make sure your caloric intake and hydration are good and listen to your body's recovery time. Knowing when to push and when not to is key to training and racing, whether you have HIV or not.

So, good luck, keep the rubber side down and may the wind always be at your back.

Let us know how the racing goes. BY

I am newly diagnosed and am 26, so whats the story now?
on triomune and miscarried