I am newly diagnosed and am 26, so whats the story now?

Hey Gerald! I am from the UK and have been diagnoed with HIV since April 2004. My question is, as I am 26 and my CD4 is 486 and Viral is 116,000 how long roughly will it be before I start treatment. Am I in good order for another year or so without the need for meds? My last reading was CD4 586 and viral was 98,000 ? I have had a RESISTANCE TEST. With the Protease Inhibitors I have potential low level resistance of IDV and minor resistance mutations L10I, L63P, A71V, I93L, I13V, G16E, E35D, N37D, R57K, I62V and G94Q -what does this all mean and will it prove a problem in the future for long life? All other Protese Inhibitors and Nucleoside RTI and non are susceptible. I am not on drug treatmet yet.

Thanks

Hi and thanks for posting. Since you are from the UK I will refer you to British HIV Association treatment guidelines. These guidelines are well written and will in all probability influence the decisions that your doctor makes.

The time to start therapy is generally conceded to be somewhere between 200 and 350 CD4 cells. Based on your current numbers a starting date for you is probably several years away. The resistance test indicates that it is likely you were infected by someone who had been treated with protease inhibitors and had developed some PI mutations. This pattern is not indicative of high level PI resistance and if you need to be treated with a PI in the future it will still work. Despite this diagnosis you can still live a normal or near-normal lifespan. Best of luck to you!

Is The Antidote fact or fiction?
Bike racing and HIV