Does this make sense? in Hudson County

Dear Dr. Pierone:

I currently have a general practicioner to assist with treating my HIV status. I currently have been taking Sustiva, Kaletra and Epivir for a year and a half. My counts for that time period has continually declined from 340 to 140 in my T-cell count and 50,000 to 140,000 in viral load production and in-between I tried the injections of T-20 to no avail. To make matters worse, I no longer have insurance to pay for all the medications, so my question is would it be possible to just take one medication for example Epivir and leave out Sustiva and Kaletra (t-cell and viral loads are not improving) or find a way to pay for three medications because its to dangerous to discontinue a cocktail. Another question I have is my doctor is not an HIV Specialist, would I be better off having someone that specializes in my diease and if your answer is yes can you recommend an HIV specialist in New Jersey.

Hello and thanks for posting. Your situation is not straight-forward and management should really be directed by a clinician who is well versed in HIV medicine. It can be assumed that you have drug resistant virus and results of previous resistance testing will be important. You may also benefit from an experimental trial in order to gain control of viral replication and stabilize immune function. I would refer you to the AAHIVM web site to locate a provider. Best of luck to you.

Loss of Appetite on Kaletra + Combivir
Invading healthy cells with hiv?