Weight Loss and drop in CD4 cell on Videx/Viread

I am 42 years old and I have been living with HIV for 19 years. I am currently taking Viread, Kaletra and Videx (three years) and always take them on time. My problem is that I have lost about 40 lbs in the last 4 months with no explanation. It seems I have been poked prodded and scanned for everything but every thing always comes out normal. I have started to take a Serostim, which is hopefully going to help me gain some of my muscle mass back, but I still do not have an answer to the cause. My viral load continues to be undetected, but my CD4 had dropped to 65. My doctor as debated whether to change my medication or not. Over the last few months I've have had little if no appetite and nausea and no energy level at all. I know it would be hard to recommend something without knowing what has already been done, but any suggestions you could provide would be extremely helpful.

Hello and thanks for posting. There is an important drug interaction between Videx and Viread that may heighten toxicity and in some cases lead to a reduction in CD4 cells. Weight loss, nausea, and fatigue that develop in someone on HIV medications are suggestive of drug toxicity as a probable cause. One consideration is to stop medications temporarily improvement or resolution of symptoms within 2 weeks would confirm medication-related toxicity. Another approach is to switch therapy instead of stop. This decision to some degree depends on previous treatment history, resistance testing, and CD4 cell trajectory. Let us know how things turn out. Best of luck to you!

POS Results from blood donation
Loss of Appetite on Kaletra + Combivir