Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

low VL low T-cells, which meds to start
Sep 25, 2005

my viral load has been under ten thousand for two years now (since i was diagnosed) but my t cells were 224 back then...they went up to 340 and then slowly went back down to 193 within the last year...i feel great, but should i start meds? i dont want to start if i dont have to but i also dont want to be foolish and hurt myself. the doctor wants me on viramune, epzicom, but i thinnk sustiva, truvada might be better. what do you think? thanks for answering my previous questions...you guys have been very helpful to me...k

Response from Dr. Pierone

There are studies that show better outcomes when HAART is provided to people with under 200 CD4 cells. So based on the available evidence, it is time to start. There are no hard and fast rules on initial therapy, but the combination of Truvada and Sustiva is used much more often than Epzicom and Viramune. This preference is driven primarily by concern for toxicity potential liver toxicity from Viramune and hypersensitivity from Epzicom. Hope that this helps and best of luck to you.

Previous
Four pill first line regimen
Next
Returning KS and undetectable viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.