Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV + couple w/active TB
Sep 25, 2005

Dear Respectable Doctors, My husband was hospitalized for active TB and we found out then that we are both HIV+. (Kids are HIV-) How likely is the chance for me to develop TB? We live in 3rd world country and we seek to go to US as we don't have access to medications and knowledge on this field is limited. We are ready to sell our assests. Magic Johnson is treated at UNC. Please advise us if we can be treated in US over time (meaning we make several trips/yr), and what the implications are. We are both still under 30 and so clueless but we need to survive for our young kids. Please reply.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Many persons without citizenship get their HIV care in the US; the actual merits of uprooting your family from your native country would need to be very carefully thought through. Much depends on your current states of health and CD4 counts as to the urgency that you need to start medications immediately. I can certainly understand and support your desire to be around for your young children.

Depending on what country you live in, there is a growing availability of medications to treat HIV; TB treatments I trust are already available.

If it helps, I'd look at TheBody.com's AIDS Service Organization Finder for advice about particular geographic regions.

Best of luck and good health to you and your husband. BY

Previous
Truvada & Sustiva or Boosted Atazanavir
Next
sustiva/truvada or epzicom/viramune

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.