Vacation (with or without meds)

I am about to go on vacation to the US for a month and was considering stopping my meds whilst away - problems at imigration etc. I'm on Norvir,Kivexa, Reyataz regime once a day. What would the side effects of stopping for this short break be? I wasn't particulary unwell before going on meds in fact it's debateable whether I should have ever started them. What do you think? Thanks

Thank you for your post.

It probably not too much of an issue to stop your regimen (abacavir/3TC + ritonavir/atazanavir) for a brief period of time, such are the vagaries of traveling through immigration with HIV medications. Typically, though most persons don't encounter any problems crossing into the states.

I wouldn't expect there to be too much in the way of side effects- indeed, your viral load probably wouldn't even return for a couple of weeks.

I'd be sure to let your doctor know about your treatment interruption, 'else if you had a viral load test performed some time after your return to the UK, a detectable viral load wouldn't be misinterpretted as treatment failure.

So, enjoy your trip across the pond. Good health to you, safe travels. BY

Treatment interuption - neuropathy
Continued OI after starting new regime