The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re: HIV - SA to America
Sep 24, 2005

In regards to the person who asked about immigrating to the US.

I was married last year to a woman with HIV and we are going through the immigration process. The US does have a waiver in place for people with HIV, it's called an I-601 (or I-690 depending on the situation) and it has certain criteria that needs to be met to be issued.

It would be easier for anyone to immigrate with HIV is they have a US citizen as a spouse. Without such a direct link it is much harder to get the waiver.

Hell Dr. Pierone just signed his section of my wife's waiver this week and we are going in for her final interview on October 7th. We have been working on this for about a year, and probably have 3-5 more months to go.

Anyone trying to get the 601 waiver needs a lawyer. It's to much for a person alone I think. I can reccomend a good lawyer if anyone wants the info.


Response from Dr. Wohl

Thanks much for this useful info!


Why are ppl with hiv/aids still dying in 2005 by the thousands in the US.
T Cell Count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint