|Growth hormone (from Brazil).
Sep 24, 2005
Im not currentlly on HAART, VL 31,900, CD4 480. I would like to take growth hormone in order to increase my muscular mass. Do you think this will be beneficial to the improvement of my CD4? What are the odds?
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
Growth hormone will certainly increase your muscle mass (at the expense of your peripheral body fat), though is rather expensive and can cause significant side effects at full dose.
A recent ACTG 5174 study authored by the very well-respected Kimberly Smith showed that lower dose human growth hormone is also associated with increases in CD4 cell counts. The extent to which this increase translates to clinical benefit remains to be elucidated.
I hope this helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- When You Have A Herpes Break Out How Long Does It Take To Get Blisters?
- When To Check If You Have Gonorrhea In Your Throat?
- What To Expect From First Herpes Outbreak?
- What Should I Expect Once I Take An Antibiotic For My Chlamydia?
- What If A Person With Hpv Uses The Restroom And Does Not Wash Their Hands Can You Get It?
- Things That Can Be Mistaken For Herpes
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.