couple misdirected

Dear Doctor, Can you please explain how serious our situation is (we are terrified) I was tested negative up to 5..5 months where my doctor said that it was OK to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend as long as she tested negative (she did) and that she was on BC (she is) but then went in for routine blood work and did an HIV test too which came up positive! I was terrified for my girlfriend, so I MADE her get tested. She came up positive too. We are now about to go to our individual doctors and get some kind of treatment, however, we are sleepless about the dangers of our 5 month span in which we supposedly were in the clear and were in fact not. What are the treatment options that are still available to us? We feel trapped in the idea that no treatment will work because we have probably reinfected each other countless times. Any info would greatly be appreciated before we see our doctors. We are referring to the fact of drug resistance...are we out of luck and brought back to square one (no treatment options?)

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

In short, HIV disease is usually a very slowly progressing thing. It typically takes years from primary infection to have risk of an AIDS complication. As such, I don't think that I would worry much about the 5 month span (you can't change this fact anyways).

Treatments, when necessary, can and do work to preserve and protect immune function and restores health to those who are ill.

Good luck, write back anytime. BY

TB and HIV
Do my T-cell count affect my body to rehabilitate?