Thrush Treatment

Doctor:

I am a 37 y/o male, I am not HIV positive, but I did suffer a brain injury ten years ago. I also have been suffering from an oral thrush problem that was diagnosed a year ago, in hindsight I probably had it six years, maybe longer. No traditional medications have been successful in treating it, and my Doctor now thinks its something I will have to live with the rest of my life. I have changed my diet, resisting: yeast products, alcohol, sugars, and white flour; while eating more heated vegetables. Even though the diet change seems to have improved my digestive system (using slippery elm too), I once had severe constipation. What in addition (supplements, vitamins) may I utilize to rid myself of this long lasting problem?

I appreciate and look forward to your advice.

Thank you,

Thank you for your post.

As a general rule of my infectious disease thumb, before coming up with new treatments, it's worthwhile pondering if we have the correct diagnosis.

While thrush is usually easy to diagnose, it can be confused with other conditions, some benign, like geographic tongue. Another question that comes up it whether your thrush is caused by the common yeast, Candida albicans or a different species of yeast. (Was your thrush cultured?) Turns out that some of the other species of yeast, like Candida glabrata (looks the same, takes a lab to distinguish) is naturally resistant to many of the "common" treatments for yeast.

So, if I were your doctor, I'd start by culturing your throat to verify that there is indeed yeast and if so, is that yeast C. albicans or not. No matter what the species, obtaining drug susceptibility tests would help sort out the most appropriate (or inappropriate treatments).

I hope this helps, BY

hepititis C 1
TB and HIV