Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 %, AIDS??
Sep 23, 2005

Hi Dear Doctor,

My latest lab results are the following: CD-277, VL-30,000, CD4%-13. At this point, my Doctor advises that I still hold off on the medications, do you agree Doctor? With a percentage of 13%, does this not constitute an AIDS diagnosis? Am I at risk for an opportunistic infection? Please answer Doctor. Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Young

From the CDC classification system, a CD4% of 13 meets the criteria for AIDS. As such you are at some risk of opportunistic infections and if you were my patient, I'd be discussing starting on antiretroviral therapies in the near future. BY

Here's the CDC 1993 classification system for AIDS:

A diagnosis of AIDS is made whenever a person is HIV-positive and: he or she has a CD4+ cell count below 200 cells per microliter OR

his or her CD4+ cells account for fewer than 14 percent of all lymphocytes OR

that person has been diagnosed with one or more of the AIDS-defining illnesses listed below.

AIDS-Defining Illnesses

Candidiasis of bronchi, trachea, or lungs (see Fungal Infections) Candidiasis, esophageal (see Fungal Infections) Cervical cancer, invasive Coccidioidomycosis, disseminated (see Fungal Infections) Cryptococcosis, extrapulmonary (see Fungal Infections) Cryptosporidiosis, chronic intestinal (>1 month duration) (see Enteric Diseases) Cytomegalovirus disease (other than liver, spleen, or lymph nodes) Cytomegalovirus retinitis (with loss of vision) Encephalopathy, HIV-related (see Dementia) Herpes simplex: chronic ulcer(s) (>1 month duration) or bronchitis, pneumonitis, or esophagitis Histoplasmosis, disseminated (see Fungal Infections) Isosporiasis, chronic intestinal (>1 month duration) (see Enteric Diseases) Kaposi's sarcoma Lymphoma, Burkitt's Lymphoma, immunoblastic Lymphoma, primary, of brain (primary central nervous system lymphoma) Mycobacterium avium complex or disease caused by M. Kansasii, disseminated Disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, any site (pulmonary or extrapulmonary) (see Tuberculosis) Disease caused by Mycobacterium, other species or unidentified species, disseminated Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia Pneumonia, recurrent (see Bacterial Infections) Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy Salmonella septicemia, recurrent (see Bacterial Infections) Toxoplasmosis of brain (encephalitis) Wasting syndrome caused by HIV infection

Previous
Can "no viral load" for hemophiliac mean HIV+ antibodies aquired in transfusion
Next
re:Better treatments put to the back of cupboard?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.