Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can "no viral load" for hemophiliac mean HIV+ antibodies aquired in transfusion
Sep 23, 2005

My boyfriend is a hemophiliac. He reports he has "no viral load." (A friend who is an HIV advocate says this is a poor term leading to a false sense of security, and the term to use more appropirately is "no detectable load"). Regardless of terminology, I have questions about this.

Is it possible that he aquired HIV+ status via HIV+ antibodies from another person from a transfusion or from his hemophilia treatments? Is it possible he was never exposed to HIV, but rather, just got the blood of someone else who was exposed?

He's over 40, which is rare for hemophiliacs as I understand it. He doesn't really like to talk about any of this, and I just wonder what I am dealing with, short term for my own health and longterm for his longevity and his health's impact on our relationship.

(He has an extensive vitamin regemen and is not on any kind of treatment for the HIV.)

Does this mean that he is infected or just had exposure (or as I suggested, maybe just the blood he was given had been exposed or infected.)

Thanks for any clarification or additional insight.

-Amanda

Response from Dr. Young

Amanda, thanks for your post.

It's unlikely that your boyfriend has persistently positive HIV+ antibodies just from receiving transfusions. It also likely indicates true infection rather than exposure. (Though a repeat HIV antibody test is generally what I do in situations like this one.)

If true, having an undetectable HIV viral load, while unusual, does occur in a lucky minority of patients. Such low viral loads usually predicts very slow, or non-progression of HIV disease.

I hope this helps, good luck to you and your boyfriend. BY

Previous
I would like to start ART
Next
CD4 %, AIDS??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.