low platelets follow up.

Thank you for your second follow up to my question. Your reply that low platelets are of most concern to bleeding in major organs is of much concern to me. With my count of 21K, should this be considered dangerously low? What is the risk of bleeding in the brain, stroke? I have started meds on Monday, what would be a reasonable time where, if this is caused by the HIV, my platelet count would go up? My doctor plans to check platelet count again in 2 weeks, is that too long? Do I need to request an MRI tomorrow? I need some straight answers what my risk is. My access to medical resources in LA is great. I don't want to die over an uncommon condition, which is looked at with complacency by my doctor of myself.

Thanks for your follow up.

You indeed have a very low platlet count. If you're otherwise asymptomatic, I don't think that you need to get an MRI. The issue that prompts evaluation would be signs of bleeding into the brain-- localized weakness, seizures, confusion. If you don't have any obvious neurological symptoms, I'd sit tight.

I'd certainly avoid doing anything that could result in trauma, especially to the head (no slam dancing this weekend).

Checking your counts in a week or two seems like a reasonable time line. For now, I'd focus on adherence to your antiretroviral medications; let your doctor or healthcare provider know about how your doing from time to time, and of course, feel free to write back here at TheBody.com's forums. BY

HIV+ pregnant and not on meds
Assimilation time of meds