Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Better treatments put to the back of cupboard?
Sep 21, 2005

I'm not trying to be provocative with this question. It might not be a question a health researcher or heath provider can answer. The question does however relate to treatments and possible future treatments. If pharmaceutical companies develop a simpler, cheaper and more effective treatments (perhaps even a cure - a preventative or treatment vaccine) might they not release it to instead preserve demand for traditional treatments that might guarantee a higher ongoing income? Are there mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening? This is a niggling fear I'd like quashed early in my journey with HIV (HIV+ for eight weeks now).

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I'm not one for too many conspiracy theories (though the pharmaceutical industry seems like a likely culprit at times). Effective treatments for HIV can prevent AIDS complications and were developed by investment (and profit) by government and private sectors. In many places of the world, these medications are available to those who need them though government- and industry-sponsored programs.

Where this falls apart is in the developing world, where many cannot afford the cost of medications. Far too many people have died waiting for creative minds to collaborate on how to deliver these life-saving medications. Thankfully, this trend is beginning to reverse in many regions.

Ultimately, it's the job of all of us to make sure that developed and developing world patients continue to have access to care and medications. Speak loudly, speak often. BY

Previous
To marry or not
Next
Sustiva and Truvada/Herbal therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.