Better treatments put to the back of cupboard?

I'm not trying to be provocative with this question. It might not be a question a health researcher or heath provider can answer. The question does however relate to treatments and possible future treatments. If pharmaceutical companies develop a simpler, cheaper and more effective treatments (perhaps even a cure - a preventative or treatment vaccine) might they not release it to instead preserve demand for traditional treatments that might guarantee a higher ongoing income? Are there mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening? This is a niggling fear I'd like quashed early in my journey with HIV (HIV+ for eight weeks now).

Thanks for your post.

I'm not one for too many conspiracy theories (though the pharmaceutical industry seems like a likely culprit at times). Effective treatments for HIV can prevent AIDS complications and were developed by investment (and profit) by government and private sectors. In many places of the world, these medications are available to those who need them though government- and industry-sponsored programs.

Where this falls apart is in the developing world, where many cannot afford the cost of medications. Far too many people have died waiting for creative minds to collaborate on how to deliver these life-saving medications. Thankfully, this trend is beginning to reverse in many regions.

Ultimately, it's the job of all of us to make sure that developed and developing world patients continue to have access to care and medications. Speak loudly, speak often. BY

To marry or not
Sustiva and Truvada/Herbal therapy