Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is combivir a prevention for HIV to spread
Sep 21, 2005

On Sunday Morning a on/or 7:20 am, I had Sexual Intercourse with another male and myself being male. His condom broke during the sexual act and also released sperm in me due to the condom breaking. I noted this, immediately went to the toilet and forced all the sperm out (upon finishing I could see the sperm in the toilet bowl). Monday morning at 8:30 I went to the hospital and explained the whole situation. They responded and said they will treat it as if it was a rape case...whereby I had 72 hours to stop the disease from it's full process. Prescribed medication was COMBIVIR. On Monday evening at 7:50 pm I took two COMBIVIR's and continued with this. I was informed to take it axactly the same time twice a day. From a different doctor I was informed that it is not important to take the pills at the axact time in the morning and at night, as long as it is taken twice a day. Can this prevent a disease from spreading if it is taken within 72 hours and should this be taken at 7:50 am and at 7:50pm. Been two weeks and hoping fot the best. Kindly assist with the correct information as I cant get a direct answer from any South African Doctor.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

It's generally considered OK to take Combivir twice a day; meaning it's less critical that the doses are separated by exactly 12 hours.

Combivir can be effective in preventing HIV infection, particularly if the first doses are administered soon after the exposure.

I wish you well, BY

Previous
CD4
Next
What options can I have?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.