Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pep, any med better than other?
Sep 17, 2005

hi doc, i started PEP (combivir, kaletra)12 hrs after deeply fingering a lady of unknow status. i had a small cut on my thumb which had stopped bleeding but was raw and no healing started. i noticed some blood on my fingers later (her vaginal blood)which i soaped off. i had to stop PEP 2 days ago (after taking it for 16 days) due to side effects. 1. did i have the right combination of meds for PEP? 2. since 3 days now i am having body ache & fatigue. no rash/fever/lymph node/sore throat. can body ache alone 2 weeks after exposure indicate ARS? 3. would a different combination of meds have avoided this? 4. should i restart PEP?

please answer as am in deep anxiety and have posted to other forums without responce. thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

The regimen that you were on should be very potent for PEP-- it's one that we use with some frequency. I'd think that your exposure was of pretty low risk and since your PEP was started soon after the exposure, your further risk should have been significantly reduced.

It's hard to pin your symptoms on HIV, though I can't prove that this can't be the case. Before I'd restart the medications, I'd review your situation with your doctor. BY

Previous
Negative/Undected?
Next
Double Dose'n

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.