Amazing Results after 1 year on HAART

Dear Dr. Young Since the time of my (and my wife and son's) diagnosis of HIV+ in Sep 04, I have been a avid reader of thebody.com, and I have found it to be helpful and motivating. Well, my wife and son started on Lamivudine, Zidovudine, and Nevirapine in Sep 04. The drugs were generic and Indian (we live in New Delhi). Their baseline reports were:

Wife: CD4: 83, VL: 2071, CD4% 12.8% Son:CD4: 385, VL:1374, CD4:17.9%.

Thanks to the grace of the Supreme Lord manifested in the attention of my attending doctor and the support of Dr. Young, and thebody.com, the results after 1 year in Sep 2005 are:

Wife: CD4: 327, VL: <20, CD4% 21.7% (in May 05, her CD4 was 147) Son:CD4: 1011, VL:<20, CD4:35.9%. The results attest to what modern drugs (of course invented by Americans but supplied cheap by Indians) show that cheap drugs, and 100% adherence (which we have managed except for 2 late doses of 6 hours) can do to control the virus, and make us HIV+ feel confident again. Many thanks to this Dr Young, this site, and the many Americans who have given us a new life, and let us hope that they shall continue to put smiles of fellow beings ahead of high profit.

As for me, I am still not on drugs, but have seen my CD4 rise from 384 in Sep 04 to 403 in Sep 04, but VL has jumped from undetectable to 18275. My question to Dr. Young is: 1. can I still stay off meds (I have seen the effects of drugs and am not afraid). 2. if I delay and the VL continues to rise (say beyond 30000), would I feel any physical impairments (eg sprains, body aches, some low fever). I ask this because when I got the primary infection in Oct 03, I felt severe body aches, and mild fever for close to 2 weeks.

Regards

Thank you for your post and kind words.

It's great to hear that your family is well and have access to, and tolerating medications.

Your laboratory data would suggest to me that there is no imminent need to start on medications- you have a reasonable CD4 count (though I'd hesitate to conclude that your count "jumped" or even changed in any significant way-- from 384 to 403, since this difference is very small) and have a relatively low-average viral load.

For patients like you, who choose to delay initiation of treatments, there is generally little risk- remember that HIV doesn't prevent you from getting the usual cast of ailments of normal life- colds, sniffles and of course, sprains.

So overall, my friend, I think that you'll be fine. It appears to me that you have access to very good health care monitoring and an experienced doctor.

Good health to you and your family. Keep us posted from time to time of your situation in India. BY

sustiva fears reply
taking meds at same time