Genotype testing for Tipranavir

We have some HIV patients on Tipranavir and i nview of the exteremely poor response to other drugs, I would like to know where can we send specimens to determine genotype resistance to Tipranavir.

Thanks for your post.

Any HIV genotypic test can look for the key protease gene mutations that are associated with a decreased likelihood of response to tipranavir. If the patient's virus harbors mutations at three or more of the following positions (33, 82, 84, 90), the response rates are lower.

It's also worth commenting that phenotypic tests from either Virco or Virologic are worth considering using, given the possibility of the genotypic tests failing to fully predict the response to tipranavir. Both commercial labs offer testing with clinically confirmed cutpoints for resistance.

In my clinic, it's commonplace to obtain both genotypic and phenotypic testing prior to initiating salvage therapies, in order to fully optimize the treatment regimen.

I hope this helps, BY

STARTING ANTI-HIV MEDS
KS, low VL, high CD4 count