STARTING ANTI-HIV MEDS

Tested HIV+ on 27 July 2005. My CD4 count was 1,200; my PCR Viral Load done on Augst 8, 2005 was 300,000 copies. My Hb is 12.4 and my blood pressure is 120/90. I suffered from herpes zoster on April 7, 2005; severe flu and Bartholins Abscess end July/early August 2005 which prompted me to go for HIV test. I was given Ciproflaxin by my doctor and marsipulization done at our local hospital. Haven't suffered from any infections since August 9, 2005 and am feeling very well. But my worry is that am not on AIDS meds. yet because my doc wants to do another PCR viral load test coz the first one was done when I had these infections and also because of the high CD4 count (1,200). I leave in Southern Africa. What is your advice on my condition?

Thank you for your post; it's nice to hear from our readers outside of the US.

With your high CD4 cell count (and despite your high viral load), there's no need to rush to start treatments for HIV.

It's possible that you were identified (and tested) early during your infection; as such the high viral load could have reflected "acute infection" levels which are often much higher than during established infection-- hence your doctor's want to retest now.

Indeed, if one could establish that you have a lower viral load and are asymptomatic, if you were my patient, I would opt to continue to monitor your labs and symptoms rather than start treatment immediately.

I hope this helps, BY

getting meds for those who can't affored them
Genotype testing for Tipranavir