From kaletra to sustiva

Hello. I am an italian HIV+. My haart regimen is: epivir + videx + kaletra. I started with 5 CD4 and VL 150,000. Now, after 15 months my CD4 are 348 and my VL is undetectable. I have a real problem with diarrhoea, that limits my life. My doctor suggested me to change kaletra with sustiva. It is a good suggestion? There could be any resistance problem? Can I back to kaletra if I don't tolerate sustiva? Please, let me know. Thank you in advance. Rosa

There are a host of switch studies that have demonstrated the safety and efficacy of switching from a PI-based regimen to a NNRTI-based cocktail in patients with controlled HIV replication. The most common reason to perform a switch like this is to lessen side effects (like diarrhea). There is always the risk that you may have side effects with the new medication, but if you are adherent to the regimen resistance is very rarely a problem. If you do not tolerate Sustiva you can safely switch back to Kaletra. Best of luck and thanks for posting.

start meds or not
what can i do?????