medicine or not

Doctor, I was diagnosed as HIV positive on 10th of June 2005 when I was admitted for an operation and my report shows cd4% 24.12% and cd4 count 483, on the other side on normal range its mentioned 28% to 58% and 500 to 1400 respectively with viral load around 16750, so please do tell me [1] theres any need for me to start any kind of medicine and can you tell me what stage of HIV I am going through is it early one or later one. [2] My wife has been tested on 14th June 2005 after I was diagnosed positive but she was tested as negative so please tell me that when should I again test her for final satisfaction that she is negative and she is safe. [3] And I am doing sex with her with condom only is it safe for her or I should stop doing sex with her to kept herself negative. [4] And do tell me till what period she can remain negative, if I will use condom forever and do take all precautions while doing sex, so called safe sex. She can remain negative till ever. [5] I am facing problem of common cold and mouth ulcers frequently, is this problems are related to this virus or its normal human problems. [6] Can you tell me does smoking and drinking alcohol occasionally really directly effects cd4 counts, does HIV people cant do smoking and drinking at all to keep virus in control. Does smoking and drinking directly effects immune system more; lastly [7] is there any hope of curing this HIV? Any medicine in future will cure this and how much approximately time it will take to discover the treatment for curing HIV since I dont want to die early since my baby is just 1 year old only. [8] And how long can a normal HIV person can live with good and healthy life? Or else what is the life of person having HIV? Please do reply all my points in detail for this I will be thankful to you.

Hello and thanks for posting. It sounds like your initial numbers are quite good and reflect a good prognosis. You do not need to start therapy at this time based on the authoritative guidelines. Your wife should be tested again in 6 months and then periodically thereafter. The chance of transmitting HIV to your wife with condom use (safe sex) is extremely low and she can maintain her HIV negative status. With a CD4 count in the 483 range the mouth ulcers are probably not HIV related, but you should consider having a viral culture done to rule out herpes simplex virus as a cause. Smoking does lower CD4 counts (and lessens survival). Alcohol intake depends on how much. Social alcohol consumption is ok, but if alcohol abuse is a possibility, then it should be avoided. There will eventually be a cure for HIV, but it is hard to know when this will occur. In the meanwhile, we expect people living with HIV and AIDS to have near-normal life expectancy based on the ability of HAART to control viral replication. I hope that this helps and best of luck to you.

reduction of both cd4 %viral load
thnx dr. pierone