Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bottoms Up!
Dec 9, 1999

Hi,

Last week my best friend Joe got a major promotion and raise at his job. We went to an early happy hour to celebrate. Not only is Joe the funniest man in the world, but he is also a big drinker. Not to be outdone and certainly not to spoil things, I followed in his footsteps last Friday and proceeded to get plastered. Finding my self home early Friday night - drunk - I wanted to go to sleep. All I had eaten were a few hors d'oeuvres and I wasn't hungry. I am on Ritonavir and Fortovase and didn't know what to do. So I did nothing and went to bed. Can you mix these two drugs with alcohol? What does "food" mean in this context - (high fat?, no fat? grapefruit juice? Etc.) Is booze a food? (My waistline thinks so!) If I were to try and eat a minimal amount what should it have been? I know it's not politically correct to admit to drinking too much on occasion, but it happens and I am sure I am not the only one who has wondered what the right thing to do is. Thanks for your advice.

Tom

PS - We had a great time!

Response from Dr. Pavia

Tom,

Hope the hangover is gone by now. It only takes a little food to improve the absorption of drugs like fortivase - a few crackers, even the peanuts at the bar. With norvir, the key benefit of food is making the drug easier on your stomach. High fat meals seem to be best IF norvir makes you nauseated, but if you don't have any problems, a few peanuts from the bar would have done the trick. Norvir has some alcohol in it, and the liquid has a fair bit. Sooo, you can tolerate taking them together, but sometimes you might end up nauseated ( or dialing the porcelain phone).

A better strategy is to take those pills early before you go out. A few hours won't make a big difference compared to forgetting your dose. Hopefully, Joe will have to work a few more months for the next promotion.

ATP

Previous
HOW MUCH IMMODIUM IS SAFE TO TAKE DAILY FOR SEVERE DIARRHEA?
Next
concerned about,RNA Viral LOAD and CD4 COUNT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.