Long term non-progresser with high VL?

Hi guys, Any chance of being a long term non-progresser with a high VL? My VL is 750,000+ yet my CD4 stays stable around 600. What gives? Also should one always start on meds with such a high VL? Or should I wait for CD4s to fall? Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

There was a very interesting presentation at CROI (AIDS conference) earlier this year that may provide the answer to your question. Here is the link. In a nutshell, the investigators identified a small group of patients who had long-term nonprogression in spite of high viral loads. The distinguishing characteristic was that these patients were infected with virus that had impaired replication capacity (due to a variety of molecular mutations/mechanisms).

This may be what is happening in your situation. It is likely that you don't need to start on medications with a high and stable CD4 cell count. These investigators are from Cleveland, Ohio. To follow up you might consider contacting them and see if they are still studying this topic.

Anal dysplasia - getting more frustrated
RE; re; recently poz