Anal dysplasia - getting more frustrated

HIV pos for 3 years. T cells 1900 on HAART therapy. Pos. anal dypasia (severe) first go around, (mild) second, and third was (moderate). The thought of this ever 6 months the rest of my life is getting old. The literature appears very vague to me anyway concerning tx options. Cancer is feeling inevitable to me. Any thought on the week on inpt. chemo and radiation followed by the 6 weeks of radiation. Is there any literature on early radiation tx as a one time option. The thought of this pain every 6 months is getting me close to the bridge.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Combination chemotherapy and radiation is used for invasive anal squamous cell cancer and this approach is not appropriate for management of anal dysplasia (which is a precancerous condition). There are no studies that I am aware of that have looked at radiation therapy for dysplasia.

I look on your situation differently (optimist that I am). I have seen anal dysplasia gradually resolve with repeated treatment and thus require less frequent follow up in patients on HAART.

Sustiva, Reyataz, Truvavda combo follow up
Long term non-progresser with high VL?