Lipodystrophy and meds

I am on viramune and combivir. THis combo is working great as my VL is undetectable and my CD4 is >1000. Is this drug combination contributing to my lipodystrophy? Is there any combination that is more "fat friendly"?

Combivir contains AZT and this drug has been associated with fat wasting. If that is what you are experiencing, AZT would be prime suspect number one. In such a case you could switch to one of two other meds: Truvada (Tenofovir + FTC) or Epzicom (Abacavir + 3TC). Both have data supporting a switch to try to improve the effects of fat wasting.

The relative merits of these two are the fodder for long lasting debates. Both are good medications and there are positive and negatives to each. Your own personal history and preferences will influence your decision. In choosing there are a couple of major points you should consider including the hypersensitivity reaction that can occur to abacavir in 5-10% of people who start the drug as well as the risk of cross resistance to other HIV meds in the very unlikely event you were you to really fail the combo which might slightly favor abacavir.

Given what you write, I suspect either will work for you in controlling your virus. Whether they will reverse completely you body shape change is not clear and data suggest such changes are slow in coming. But, a switch can help make sure things do not get worse.

Starting meds
Can Trivizir be used on its own?