medication isn't working

Hello I have only been diagnosed with HIV for less than 2 years. My t cells rapidly feel from 600 to less to 100 in 18 months .I started a combination of truvada and navaropine about 4 months ago.After a good start the virus quickly rebounded and my t cells have stayed steady at around 120. Tests have shown that i have drug resistance to wat i am taking. My doctor now says that i will have to change over to a new regiman and will have to take a protease inhibitor. I don't know wat to think because this has all happened so fast and I don't understand why i've progressed so quickly.I am also nervous that taking a protease inhibitor will cause lipodystophy.He has suggested Kaletra. Wat are your thoughts on my case and wat would u recommend i start on next.

I am curious to know if you had a resistance test performed before you commenced therapy to know if you acquired drug resistant virus when you became infected. A baseline viral resistance test can often be helpful and is now becoming a standard of care for HIV.

Nonetheless, from what you have described, you will need to switch to a PI-based regimen to establish virologic control. Some of the newer PIs Reyataz in particular, are less likely to produce the metabolic disturbances of the older PIs like Kaletra. The best regimen for you should be based on your recent resistance test and after discussion of options with your clinician. Feel free to send more details in a follow up post adherence history, specific genotypic mutations, baseline resistance test (if available). Best of luck.

percentage of CD4 cells
hep c/ hiv pos?