percentage of CD4 cells

As usual you ignore a persons percentage and look at only T-cell count along with viral load. The person with 173,000 viral load and a T-cell count of 450 may have a pecentage below 14%. The fact you do not even address percentage in her question wiill make them angry if they get an AIDS diagnosis should the percentage drop. I have freinds I know with high T-cell counts who have had an Aids diagnosis because their percentage was below 14%. You need to Fully inform the public about percentage. Percentage is a better baraometer of ones imune system than T-cell counts!

I think that you are right the percentage CD4 count is important and often neglected. Although it is uncommon to develop an AIDS-related opportunistic infection with CD4 count above 200, this would be more likely in someone with a low CD4 percentage. I don't think that the natural history studies (in adults) support the statement that CD4 count percentage is a better barometer of immune function. But the percentage certainly adds important prognostic value to the laboratory assessment of HIV infection. Thanks for your comments.

ARV treatment after shingles?
medication isn't working