Re-tooling the regimen

I started on meds with VL 274,000 and CD4 635 (37%). Regimen is Sustiva, Truvada, Reyataz boosted with Norvir. Initial resistance testing done 2 years earlier showed weak resistance to PIs, but the thinking of the regimen was to not have the Sustiva/Truvada "do all of the work." No major adverse effects (rash which went away, loose stools, vivid but not disturbing dreams). After 16 weeks of 100% adherence VL = 93 and CD4 = 1,024 (38%). Yeah! Is there any risk, once VL falls below 50, to discontinue the boosted PI? If so, would you suggest labs monthly for the first few months afterwards to make sure the wrong piece wasn't removed from the puzzle?

The first question that I'd ask is why you need or want to drop the ritonavir boosting..

In some circumstances, dropping ritonavir to go from a boosted- to a non-boosted PI can be done, especially for reasons of side effects or intolerance of the medication.

Unfortunately, with your particular combination, tenofovir (in Truvada) and atazanavir (Reyataz) requires the addition of ritonavir to overcome a negative drug-drug interaction.

I'd speak to your doctor or pharmacist about possible ways to eliminate Norvir from the regimen-- this would entail either switching from tenofovir to another NRTI or from atazanavir to another PI.

I hope this helps, BY

percentage
Kaposi Sarcoma