Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Start medication with one kidney, if so which ones
Aug 20, 2005

My background: I just got diagnosed as being HIV+ on June 14, 2005. Second test confirmed it a week later, with viral load of 5840 and CD4 count of 346. I also donated 1 of my kidneys to my older sister in Dec 2003. Prior to June 2005, I tested HIV- on Dec 2004.

My questions are: 1. what are the chances that my sister would be HIV+ from my kidney donation in Dec 2003 if I tested HIV- in Dec 2004?

2. Given that I only have 1 kidney now and I'm taking high blood pressure medication (atacand) to deal with it, would it be wise for me to start HIV medications right away or should I hold off? My concern is that taking HIV medication might be too harsh on my remaining kidney, esp. if I'll be taking them for a longer period of time.

3. If I start HIV medications right away, which ones should I stay away from in terms of impacts to kidneys, etc? Also, which ones would you recommend if I'm concerned about lipodystrophy and/or lipoapathy?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Since you were not infected with HIV when you donated the kidney, your sister is not at risk. Donating a kidney is a very considerate and caring act; I hope that your sister is doing well with your donated kidney.

Since you have a recent infection and a low viral load you should be able to wait before starting HIV medications. It generally takes a few lab reports several months apart before one gets a true sense of the CD4 count and viral load trend.

When you do start therapy it would make sense to avoid Viread (or Truvada) because of occasional cases of kidney toxicity. Zerit and AZT are most associated with lipoatrophy, so Epzicom + Sustiva might be the best choice. Best of luck to you and let us know how things go.

Previous
Good Medical Care
Next
Long term survival with AIDS and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.