|Drastic body change
Aug 19, 2005
32yrs HIV + for 10yrs lady been on ARV for just 8 months.Lost weight on legs and hands. been changed to Lamivude+nevirapine+Zidovudine. Any hope of recovery???? Help please.
| Response from Dr. Pierone
Hi and thanks for posting.
For reasons that are not understood some people are more likely to develop the body shape changes from HIV medications. One pattern is called lipoatrophy and this marked by loss of fat in the face as well as subcutaneous tissues of the arms and legs.
You did not say what you were changed from, but the zidovudine (AZT, Retrovir) in your current regimen can produce fat loss (also less than Zerit). A better alternative would be tenofovir (Viread) or abacavir (Ziagen). There is hope of recovery with regimen change, best of luck to you.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chances Of Catching HIV From Sex With A Prostitute
- Itchy Skin After Precum Touching Vagina Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Red Spots After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Runny Nose After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.