Follow-up Proper Treatment

This a follow-up to a question I asked a couple months ago. I started on regiment Reyataz,Truvada, Norvir boost approximately 3 mo ago. Started cd4 of 70 and vl 8600. Second viral load spiked to 80,000, but cd4 rose to 84. Most recent results have shown viral load drop to undetectable and cd4 at 100, as of two weeks ago. Two questions: 1) Would a cold at time of the spiked vl account for that spike and then drop to undetectable or could you offer another explanation. 2) Do you believe the medication has been effective in raising the cd4, given I have been on the treatment for 3 1/2 months? Thanks for all your help. You provide a great service to all of us living with HIV.

Thanks for your post.

1) A cold or other mild infection can be the cause of increases in viral load. The fact that your viral load became undetectable later implies to me that your increase was probably not an indicator of insufficient drug potentcy or drug resistance.

2) Yes, absolutely, effective first-line treatments can raise CD4s as much as 200-250 cells in one year. A risk of 30 cells in 3 months (especially for someone who started as low as you), is an acceptable start.

Lastly, thanks for your words. I'm happy to hear that our services here are of value to you. BY

Switching meds
My love for my Girlfriend